Samantha and I were pulling out parts, carefully labeling each piece. I took photos of each part before we removed it and even saved the screws in baggies and labeled them for where they came from. All our tools are put away at the end of every workday and I am feeling very organized about the whole process. I bought the black shelving unit you see in the photo so i could stack the windows to save space.I took this photo so i could remember how the skins of the camper go together. It is a little blurry but you get the idea.
We took the J rail off the front nextIt was at this point that our Knight in shining Armor (aka my brother in law Frank) appeared!
My apprehension about this project disappeared as soon as he walked in the door. He brought his tools and we got started.
I should mention at this point that Frank had the idea that we should cut that front curved piece on each side out of one piece of 1X6 wood instead of using 3 pieces of 1X2 like it comes from the factory. Each of the three pieces was on an angle and stapled together. It was very wobbly. The first tool he showed me how to use was the Jig Saw!
The paneling is loaded with little screw type nails that have to be dug out. It is painstaking work. I bought a few different tools for this job but i keep coming back to the Cat’s paw as my go to tool. We Duct taped the pieces together so that we could get them out in one piece to use as a pattern to cut the new piece out of 1/8″ Birch.
We had a little trouble getting the water tank out so Frank cut a hole in the top so we could get at the fittings that go through that side of the camper.
I heated up the fitting so that Frank could unscrew it from the tank and remove it.
Sometimes you find little treasures when you open all this stuff up. We found old newspapers, a toothbrush, many cigarette butts, and a plastic box from the Union Plaza Hotel/Casino Las Vegas. My favorite surprise was when Sam found this…We will not be painting over this… Big Ken would want it that way!
As you can see Frank and Samantha made metal plates and attached them to all the places where the pieces joined. Now that front end is very sturdy! By the end of the Day Frank had the whole front framing rebuilt! I am so thankful that Samantha and Frank are enjoying this work as much as I am. 🙂