Samantha joined the Navy! She is in basic training at Great Lakes Naval Station. She wrote me a heartwarming letter, thanking me for all the opportunities we gave her and for all the fun she had working on the camper. I plan on sending her pics as we go along with the restoration of “Peaches”. She will pop in when she can to check on our progress.
We took out the stove and i will put a refrigerator there with the counter top extending over the top giving me more counter space. I gave up the wardrobe cabinet to have a toliet room. After taking out the wardrobe cabinet we started on building the bed. We wanted to make it so that it could be used as a bench during the day for seating and then pulled out at night to give me more room to sleep but still leave enough room for someone to get by me to get to the toliet.
Frank loved the Joint Pro! He was able to drill holes that perfectly lined up for the dowel rods. The rods make this sleeping bench stronger and makes us feel like cabinet makers 🙂
The wood lines up so that it can slide back and forth to bring the bed to the full size or push it back to be a bench.
This is the finished bench or so we thought. After we made this nice hinging system we realized that it won’t work exactly as we wanted, It sticks out too far from the wall and a few other concerns with the window height ect. So we are taking that hinged piece out and it will sit on top and then i will push it back when time to go to bed, just like the original design of the bed from the back.
The next step was building the inside bathroom wall with a door opening. We clamped 1/4 inch birch plywood to the outside wall so we could use it as a pattern.
cutting out the doorway two sheets at a time. One for each side of that wall.
Then we added wood to frame the inside of the inside toilet room wall, then we glued it and clamped it.
After the glue dried we added insulation. We used a spray glue to hold it in place.
Then we glued the other side to it and clamped it up.
We put it in temporarily to see how it looks. We are nailing it all together before the final installation.
I love seeing it all come together! Thanks again Frank! I am glad you share my interest in restoring this peach.
The kitchen cabinets are next! The counter top was hard to find but i am very happy with my choice. I originally wanted the boomerang pattern but i couldn’t find it in the color i wanted. I tracked this down and it has a similar feel. The manufacturer only had 4 sheets left and I bought two. Enough to do my table and my counter top.
I highly doubt they will do free installation 🙂 Especially since i want to cut each 12 inch tile into 9 inch tiles. I would like to do that to keep it in style with the original tiles which were that size.